Sunday, May 30, 2010

It's nevertheless May, and, as I pointed out earlier, almost June. There was no full moon to be seen here this month. It was completely clouded over. The next day I was feeling sad--knowing the full moon had come and gone--and went to the Viewpoint to contemplate the full moon's passing. It was dusk. I saw some small creature moving across the grass along the edge of the path on the side of the path closer to the view. At first I thought it was a squirrel, but as it approached me, it became clear that it was a duck--a female mallard. She waddled along, snatching up bugs or grass--whatever a duck eats--every few paces. She came within about a foot of me, apparently not even noticing me, and then passed me. I kept as still as I could, except that I turned my head backwards so that I could continue watching her even though should moved behind my back. Suddenly she shot like a torpedo, out across the edge of the hillside at a somewhat downwards angle, quickly disappearing into the distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment