Sunday, November 1, 2009

Painting at the Viewpoint

I spent all afternoon painting at the Viewpoint. I situated myself on one of the little grass-covered hillocks. The light changed so fast, I could barely keep up with it. The sky was mostly clear, and it was reasonably warm, except for towards dusk, so there were a lot of people out. In fact, there was quite a crowd at one point. I was so busy painting that I didn't notice the moon coming up. (I couldn't see it from my vantage point.) It must have been wonderful when it first rose from beneath the horizon. I caught sight of it just as I was packing up. It looked full, although tomorrow is the day it's officially full. There was a woman sitting at the north bench, staring at it as though she imagined herself on the moon instead of earth. There were many subtle gradations of color in the sky surrounding it, which I've always found a wonderful phenomenon--the pale orange, rose and mauve tones one sees around a full moon, which is never exactly white, at least when it's relatively low in the sky. Later, after driving home with my easel, I came back with my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment