Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Full Moon


Moon over Interlaken
Copyright © 1987 Paul D. Natkin, All Rights Reserved

No two full moons are alike. Each is different from the next. One can always expect something new from the moon. Tonight's was pale orangish yellow when it rose--a reminder that fall will come pretty soon. And it felt like fall this morning. It was cool, and the sky was overcast. Someone I know who comes from Poland told me he was thinking about going mushroom-hunting--in the mountains, I think he said.

It was hard to find a vantage point from which I could see the moon over the Viewpoint. From the street, the moon's position was over the dark ravine. If I wanted to view the moon framed by a tree overhead, I had to walk a few feet below the edge, at a point where the slope isn't too steep, and then I needed to stand at exactly one point--a slightly precarious one. If I moved even an inch or so to the right or left, the moon moved too far to be perfectly framed. I didn't take a photo; I didn't have my camera. I'll save it as a memory. It was the Sentinel that did the framing.

Later, once the moon had risen up above the two cemeteries, a trail of thin clouds wafted across its surface. When this happens, I sometimes watch for a very long time, observing the slow changes.

I've noticed that the park below has been closed for many weeks. I don't know why. It's been in the back of my head, but I guess I've been thinking about it a lot on some level.

I forgot to mention that I saw a bat flitting around on my way to the Viewpoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment