Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Three Sections of Lawn

The lawn in the park can be divided into three sections: the part on the side of the path closer to the street; the part that's on the same level as the path, on the side of the path closer to the edge (and the view); and the part that's below the level of the path, on the side of the path closer to the edge (and view). The two levels of lawn on the side of the path closer to the edge are made distinct by a low embankment that runs more or less the distance of the park. This embankment takes several turns. It has a total of seven corners. Six of these corners are concave; one is convex.

Today I noticed that there's something else of which there are seven in the park: the concrete steps leading from the cement path to the laurel tree, in its enclosure. (It seems to me I had a better word for the wooden structure surrounding the laurel. What was it?) The seven steps are all rectangular and all the same size.

Today I saw a woman taking a photo of a couple standing under the laurel tree. The three people were speaking an Asian language that I didn't recognize. I stood still for a moment as the woman took the photo. Reserve, or maybe a certain shyness, prevented me from asking what language these people were speaking, although I was curious to know. As I've mentioned, there's an endless stream of photographers at the Viewpoint, especially on sunny days. Many of them do come from foreign countries: Japan, Russia, China, India, Korea, Germany and any number of other places.

No comments:

Post a Comment