Friday, August 21, 2009

Overcast Day

It's basically an overcast day. At the Viewpoint earlier this afternoon, looking into the distance, I had a greater-than-usual sense of depth. This always happens when there are lots of clouds in the sky. They help mark points in space. Laurelhurst and the area to the left of it--whatever that would be--were a dark blue in color. In the foreground, there was a hint of sunlight on the verdant foliage. And in the middle, around Union Bay, there was a lot of light bluish gray. The water looked a little choppy. There was a certain reserve to the entire scene--an atmospheric quality that I love.

There were two groups of picknickers at the Viewpoint. There were three women sitting on a blanket spread out on the west side of the path that runs through the park. And a man and woman were sitting on a blanket on the east side, near the edge. They had a red and white cooler--just a small one--and they were eating. As I left, I noticed a tiny flower growing somewhere along the adjacent street. It was white and was the kind of flower that will dry out and not fade if you pick it and don't put it in water. I've heard them called strawflowers, but I'm not sure this is correct.

There were no photographers today, but if I'd had my camera with me, I would have taken quite a number of photos for my archive. And if I'd had my paints and paper, I would have sat for a few hours and painted. Instead, I did my best to commit the scene to memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment