Monday, October 5, 2009

Awkward

There's no way around it: the Viewpoint is awkward. "Awkward" in the movers' sense of the word. If something is awkward, it's difficult to move even though it may not be as heavy as something else that's less awkward but more manageable because of its form and the distribution of weight within that form. The Viewpoint seems like it should be so easy to work with. You would think it would offer no end of perfect opportunities for the photographer or painter, but the truth is that it's a sort of visual Rubik's Cube. When you're setting up a shot, there's always one factor or another that's just not quite right.

The weather this afternoon is perfect for all those who love "good" weather. (I acknowledge that there are those who prefer a storm, but I think they may be in the minority.) Today it's sunny and warm, without being hot, and the air has a fresh scent to it. But over at the Viewpoint I struggled and struggled to find a good shot. As I've written at least once before, I can't find even a single shot that shows what the Viewpoint really is: a tiny park with a grand vista below and beyond it. I even photographed another photographer as he set up his tripod and camera, ready to take the perfect shot, but repeatedly failing as he switched from one vantage point to the next and in the end leaving with a disappointed look on his face. Today the blue of the water and the blue of the sky were so blue. But I couldn't figure out to show the expanse of either in a photo. I won't stop thinking about it, though. The Viewpoint is like a song I hear over and over again in my head, whether I physically go there or not. Some music sticks in your head, and so do some places.

No comments:

Post a Comment