Monday, October 12, 2009

Hanging Branch

The most unusual thing I spotted at the Viewpoint today was a small branch that was hanging, loose, from one of the larger branches of the Sentinel. I've seen loose, hanging branches on the Sentinel before, but not often. The branch may hang there for days, even weeks, before the wind brings it to the ground.

There were three teenage guys hanging out in a van on the neighboring street. I don't remember what they looked like, exactly, or what they were wearing, but I think they had on either jeans or sweats or a combination of the two. I'm kind of remembering black, dark blue or gray. One of them had blond hair. I remember him best because as I was leaving the park, he nearly ran into my tripod, as I was folding it up and putting it back into its case. He had gone on a short excursion over the edge and was scrambling back up onto the cement walk where the edge meets the neighboring street. I was walking down that walk.

Other than this, I saw just two people while I worked with my camera at the Viewpoint: both joggers, both women in the range of about thirty to forty years old. One had on a black top and short red shorts. She had dark hair. The other had on a combination of black and white, I think, but I've forgotten the details. They both looked like they were in good shape.

I took just one photo--one of the bay. It's a cold day today, and the light is bluish, so I wasn't as inspired as yesterday. The landscape is punctuated by reds and yellows, although we're not to the height of autumn yet. I wonder whether the palm trees on the arterial will make it through the winter. I've noticed people are planting them more frequently than in the past. Up until a few years ago, the most exotic tree anyone grew around here was a monkey tree or a Chinese yew. The only place you saw palms was in the conservatory. They remind me of Miami and L.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment