Friday, October 16, 2009

Foggy Day and Tables Turned

When I drove by the Viewpoint about half an hour ago, the rain had just let up, at least almost. There was a lot of fog down on the bay and even rising up into the woods of the park below. From my car window I could see a woman under a dull red patterned umbrella, at the far end of the park, fumbling around with a camera, trying to get some photos without getting her camera wet. Her face was more or less hidden. I grabbed my own camera and my tripod and walked into the park. I hoped she would keep taking photos long enough for me to set up my tripod and get a shot of her without her noticing--not a shot of her face, just a photo showing her as a figure--an anonymous photographer struggling to some photos in the rain. I should have taken a shot before going through the steps to set up my tripod and attach my camera, not worrying too much about the focus or composition. It was too late! She hurried off, leaving via the south end of the park. So I took photos of the bay, instead. When I tried to take a close-up of the water, my camera wouldn't focus. I think it was confused by all the fog. I should have set it on manual, but it was beginning to rain again, and I didn't want my camera to get wet. I packed up and turned to walk towards the north end of the park, to my car. Just as I did so, I saw, over my left shoulder, the woman with the red umbrella, beyond the hawethorns, out on the sidewalk along the arterial. I think she was taking photos of me taking photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment