Thursday, October 8, 2009

Memory Game

I'm always testing my memory. As I passed through the Viewpoint on my bicycle today, I looked to see how many people there were, what they looked like, what they were doing and what they were wearing. I didn't take any notes. Now, about half an hour later, I'm going to see how much I remember.

On the bench just southwest of the laurel tree was a couple, maybe in their sixties, who looked like they might have been from another country, or at least another city. They were looking at a map or a guidebook and, I think, trying to identify the different things they saw in the distance. Maybe it was mountains they were pointing to.

On a blanket spread out close to the edge, between the Lovers and the Sentinel was a group of five people. There was a man in his thirties or forties with a little baby on his lap in the upper right corner, another man, who had glasses and short gray hair and a bit of a beard--or maybe just stubble--in the upper left corner, and then two women with blond hair, about shoulder length, in the lower right corner and lower left corner. The baby--a boy, I think--was dressed in bright red. The two women's hair was similar enough that I wonder whether they might not have been sisters. And maybe the men were their husbands. I've forgotten what clothing any of them was wearing, but it seems to me the blanket may have had some sort of plaid pattern. By "upper right corner," etc., I mean in relation to where I was as I looked at the group. I was more or less to the west of them, in other words, further from the edge, out on the walkway that runs the length of the Viewpoint. What a wonderful painting this scene would make!

Just entering the park, coming around the curve of the edge, was a woman with a dog on a leash. The dog was smallish, but not super-small. It looked like it was at least part terrier. The woman had on a brown top with a white or cream-colored vest over it.

It was sunny at the Viewpoint. The Sentinel was partly in shade, and it was casting a shadow to its west.

I wish I could remember more.

No comments:

Post a Comment