Sunday, October 18, 2009

Other Views

There's no rain this afternoon, but it's still fairly overcast. Here and there, there are patches of blue sky to be seen. The fall colors are richer now: lots of yellows, oranges and reds. I set up my tripod just to the left of the laurel tree, within the enclosure that surrounds it. A man was sitting on the bench, looking out into the distance. I didn't want to disturb him, since I felt certain he was enjoying the sense of calm that one can experience while looking at the great vista one sees from that point. But after I took a few shots, we struck up a conversation. He said this was one of his favorite spots in Seattle. I couldn't imagine anything within city limits that at all compares with the Viewpoint. He named Discovery Park and Carkeek Park as other places with wonderful views. Well, it may be that there are other spots with nice views, and I don't begrudge anyone the enjoyment they get from them, but I don't feel a pressing need to go to those other places. I have a long history with the Viewpoint, and I can't say that of those other places. It's not just the view--it's the curve! The edge!

No comments:

Post a Comment